Sunday, July 6, 2008

On Post and Male Gay Bars

After a virtual bike race through redwood forests and pacific coastal trails (amazing exercise equipment these days!) I headed out to test my navigational skills on a new public transportation system. Walking about a mile to the closest rapid transit train system, I successfully got myself to the Atlanta airport, and from there to Ft. Benning, utilizing a highly convenient shuttle service. Rather hilariously ironic, I thought, the film on the way to the ARMY Fort was "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry," a 2007 comedy about two FDNY young men who decide to get married to reap the benefits of domestic partnerships.

Once on base, the service dropped me right outside Daniel's dorm, which was pretty sweet. I couldn't believe how enormous the base is; I have been told it is the largest in the United States. Seriously though, it is a town in and of itself - warranting its own "Ft. Benning" for the city location of the address. I met one of DFish's bunkmates and a few of his other buddies. We enjoyed some delicious hamburgers, a quick trip to Barnes and Noble, and the bumping, eclectic musical collection of a fellow soldier. It was fantastic to see and hang out with him. I look forward to his graduation this Thursday and spending over a week together back home in Cali beginning in a couple of weeks.

I left Ft. Benning around 8 and arrived back in ATL around 10:15pm. Much like I become uncomfortable seeing acquaintances from high school that I haven't seen in a while, I ran into some TFA people getting off MARTA at the same time as I. It was nice to see them, however I worried that they would too adamantly encourage me to join them for a night on the town - I was feeling some solitary exploration of the city as opposed to a group effort. One gentlemen suggested that a girl shouldn't walk home alone. Praying that chivalry truly is dead, I reaffirmed my preference for walking around a bit before heading home and hoped that he wouldn't insist against this. Finally parting from the group, I said good night, and walked in the direction opposite campus.

I realized that I was in the same location that I had been when out and about with a few friends the night before, certainly a comfort. The street was lit up with electronic signs and rainbow flags and the air was filled with the combination of live and DJ-controlled music. Poking my head into one bar, I felt unsure of my presence there and headed to Starbucks for a quick bite. Recharged, I made up my mind to go back to the bar. Asking in front about the establishment, I had trouble discerning the general vibe of the scene. Well, I'll just have to decide for myself, I thought. With some renewed ounces of courage, I opened the door and asked how much the cover was. Within 10 seconds of entering, I immediately fled toward the bar for a coke, feeling the need for something, anything in hand to blend in. Too soon did I realize that I was not only the only white individual in the place, but also the only female...hmm. My suspicions about the place were confirmed as two African-American gentlemen took the floor and showed each other a little love. I didn't really feel overly out of place, as I was very much enjoying the music, but worried that others might be bothered by the presence of a female in their all-male space - thus, I decided to leave. Luckily I found a bus back to campus, as I didn't feel too safe walking the mile back to campus in the dark.

One more week of school and then back to Cali next Saturday!

1 comment:

Eli said...

Yooooo! I love reading your blog, its so much fun and your such a damn good story teller.
So, I will be leaving for Italy tomorrow (Tue 8th) and will be getting back on the 23rd. I really hope I don't miss you completely! If you reply to this (which I hope you do) then like I said in the message I will check my emails in the internet cafe.
Well it sounds like you're doing a great job with TFA (like I knew you would!) and I hope to see you soon!