Saturday, July 19, 2008

New Assignment

During institute a few weeks ago, one corps member noticed that our district had recently cut 400 jobs. A little concerned, we asked an '06 (someone who began teaching with TFA in 2006) what this would mean for our placements. He replied with a laugh, "It's a political move because they didn't receive as much money from the state as they requested - don't worry, it won't affect TFA people." Reassured, but unsure how to feel about the too typical, somewhat arrogant, self-assurance of many corps members, I concluded that nothing would be affected.

That was until two days ago. I received an email relaying to me and another '08 that our placements were being shifted around. The next day I learned that I will now be in a high school, which luckily is about the same distance, although a totally different direction, from the apartment. The middle school math praxis II, which I took back in the spring, allows teachers to teach grades 6-9. Thus, I will be teaching 9th grade math - nice, because I won't have multiple grade levels to prepare for, although I still may have different subjects within the 9th grade. My initial preference was actually for high school, so I am getting my first choice after all, even though I had been looking forward to middle school after my experience this summer.

The TFA name might get you great benefits at Wachovia and Kinko's, but it can't protect you from all bureaucratic shifts it seems.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! So what high school will you be at?