Monday, December 1, 2008

Happy December!

Well, obstacle-filled October and nefarious November have come to a close. Good riddance. As staff members at my roommate's elementary school mentioned at the very first staff meeting post-break, "only three weeks until the holidays!" Indeed, even veteran teachers are looking forward to future time away from school.

I must say that the opportunity to travel home to California for Thanksgiving was highly appreciated and the safety of home provided my adrenal glands a rest from early morning surges (except for Sunday morning of course, when the return to life here in the queen city was forced to resume.)

Although I was noticeable discouraged to leave the comforts of home to fly across the country, my poignant, yet ever-fading, hopes of closing the achievement gap inspired me to hold my head high and remember that I have an essential job here to which I shall dedicate my best efforts.

"1 day down...14 to go!", responds my reassuring roommate after our brief descriptions of decent but trying days. We march onward in an attempt to tame these beasts of behavior challenges and trick even the most obstinate of learners into picking up just a little something from a lesson.

Loving the Christmas music, green tea, and the scented candle burning gently in my room, I will soon drift off to sleep and dream of home fridges filled with egg whites (shout out to midd bball - gotta think of that hard-boiled egg when lifting!), warm, mouth-watering brownies, and a chill late morning with mom reading the paper or a hard-core spotting session with my bro.

Peace and love.

No comments: