Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Rough But Hopeful News

I received a text from one of my summer school students this evening: "Just wanted to let you know I didn't pass the test, hope you are doing well."

I was pretty devastated. Granted this was a student that missed half of summer school, but damn did it hurt. I sent some inspirational words about dominating in school this year and he replied that he would rather look into getting a GED. We texted back and forth for a little, and I eventually emailed him an article about the degree from TIME. Apparently "95% of community colleges and four-year colleges accept the certificate in place of a high school diploma." I found this especially important to share with him so that he does not give up on college dreams.

Although I am bummed that things didn't go perfectly for him this summer, I am happy that he continues to reach out to me to check up every few weeks. Hopefully I can be a positive influence in his life. His story will surely motivate me this year; it will deter me from giving up on a single student.

No comments: