Sunday, October 5, 2008

Looking forward to the week ahead!

I must sleep but must say this: So pumped for this week!

I began my new Algebra 1-A class this week with a entirely novel group of students during 4th block. I must say that I am less than grieving the loss of my previous 4th block - things had gotten a little out of control and it had become difficult to teach. After a conversation with an EC teacher (North Carolina's Spec Ed.) I have a better understanding of where my school fits into the school district. According to my informer, we have a suspiciously large population of students with 504's, Personal Education Plans, and Individualized Education Plans - basically a large number of kids who have a noticeably difficult time with some or all subjects in school.
Some of the schools in the area have entrance exams - we do not. Therefore, these schools weed out students who would not be successful between their walls and send those students to schools like ours. At the same time, we are expected to produce test scores that are just as high as theirs...or face the budget consequences. Really fair...not.

On another note, school is much better! One student, Terry, who is usually a challenging one to keep on task actually stayed after the bell rang on Friday to finish his homework for Monday! Additionally, the Algebra class is awesome, mainly because the students are more motivated, I love algebra, and I have the opportunity to actually teach students something they don't know! Something new to me and my students. The intro class consists of teaching students material that they failed to demonstrate their mastery of on their 8th grade end of grade exam. My plan is to go easy on the standard content of the intro class, and instead push the class to be more like an Algebra 1-A prep class. I hope to discuss this idea with the principal this week. This woman of extreme power is scheduled to observe my intro class 2nd block bright and early tomorrow morning - should be interesting.

I had planned one lesson (well thought about it); however, after speaking with a fellow teacher at school (without whom I would be somewhat disoriented) we decided on a different lesson for my observation.

Best news for last: two of my roommates and I went to the beach this weekend! We left yesterday morning for the coast where we spent a beautiful day splashing in the waves and relaxing on the beach under a warm sun, a combination that washed away all negative remnants of school and brought in its place a positive energy that I carry with me now. Although we all were forced to scramble lessons together for tomorrow, we feel infinitely refreshed.

A day with the Atlantic, rushing sand between our toes; a night under a clear, star-speckled sky, roasted marshmellows over a nurturing flame in the company of supportive friends. Few other settings and characters could have brought a better ending to this weekend chapter.

No comments: