Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Why I Love my Roommates

Shout out to my brother for finishing up his second officer leadership course! Congrats!

Also props to the Midd Women's Ball team for their season soon to be underway. Good luck this weekend!

Over a delicious burrito, one of my roommates began discussing her elaborate behavior management program in the form of a check system. Good checks, bad checks, x's, etc. Now her system is pretty intense - not something that I could jump into overnight. Another mild hazard is that what gets 4th graders going, doesn't exactly always get 9th graders enthused.

Back when I had my old 4th block, one day I got extremely fed up and pulled my own check system out of the air - your basic middle school jam where your name goes on the board if you are disruptive or disrespectful. I gave minuses for negative behavior and pluses for positive behavior - helping classmates, raising your hand, etc. This actually worked really well - I ended up calling a ridiculous number of parents that night, but it was helpful if I am remembering it correctly. I may give it a shot with 3rd block tomorrow.

The main piece to share: this evening my roommate related getting into trouble for poor classroom management by your principal, to being yelled at by the mayor of a town that is constantly hit by the bubonic plague for having a sick person in your house. Instead of worrying only about the sick person in my house, fix the town! Indeed, Ms. Bell seems to be determined to get on particular teachers when perhaps she should be focusing on bigger, school-wide transformations.

However, no matter how many kids curse in the halls, call each other faggots and n****s, get thrown out of school for food-fights, throwing punches, or cursing out teachers to their face or physically hitting them, I will try to make my own classroom the best it can be.

No comments: