Monday, September 29, 2008

New Game Plan

A curve ball from the public school system:

Because of high numbers in Algebra (the superintendent is getting on our principal's arse), I am being moved around. I will keep my 2nd and 3rd block Intro to Math classes and will lose my 4th block. Instead of ending the day feeling shat upon, I will take an Algebra 1-A class which, in theory, should have better behaved students. I actually got to hand pick (we have yet to see whether it will actually go through or not though) which students from my current 4th block will transfer to my 3rd block and I may even have the opportunity to bring some with me to Algebra 1-A. There are about 6 kids that would be just fine in this class I believe.

Saturday brought a high point to my experience thus far. Bridgette, a 3rd blocker who painfully fails to grasp nearly all of the material, randomly texted me while I was grading tests. "Hi, Ms. Fisher, this is Bridgette." Hmm, strange, I thought, let's see how she did on her test...a 54, o dear. The previous week I had asked this student if she could ever come in after school for tutoring - she said that she would inquire about the possibility. I texted her back, "Hey Bridgette! Great to hear from you. Have you checked with your mom about tutoring?" A short series of texts later and we have a tutoring date Wednesday from 2:30-3:15pm! I hope that 1, she will actually come, and 2, that I can help her.

Teacher workday tomorrow! YES. I have to move classrooms because of this big move in the Algebra department. I get to sleep in a bit and work leisurely tomorrow. Sweet day.

No comments: