Monday, June 16, 2008

First Day as a Teacher

I am super exhausted but I wanted to right a quick one.

Despite my hard work over the weekend, I ended up getting to bed pretty late last night. However, our bus is leaving later now, so I intend to sleep in until 6am.

I had morning duty today. My role, along with 5 of my fellow corps members, took place at the Check Spellingmiddle school medal detectors. As students walked in, we searched their purses or small backpacks and patted them down. We were the ones feeling uncomfortable since they were all quite used to this daily treatment, almost laughing at the beginning because of our tentativeness.

The woman who instructed us in our duty relayed that she "lets the pregnant ones walk to the side of the medal detector." I thought to myself, "Makes sense. Wouldn't want them getting any unnecessary radiation." Five minutes later, however, I wasn't sure whether I should have been more shocked at this so plainly stated advice, or at myself for not thinking anything of it at the time I heard it.

After patting down 300 girls, it was time for morning class. We began with a grand total of 1 student in the classroom. However, by the time it was time for my first lesson we had 4, ending the day with 5 or 6 I believe (other teachers take the later lessons). In the morning we went around and discussed the classroom expectations and how each student would perform with them; one student mentioned that he had an anger management problem. A slight worry trickled into my headm, strongly led by images of me ducking to escape flying chairs. However, he proved himself to be quite the eager participant and active learner.

My lesson on scientific notation went well. I evidently missed the memo on providing students an assessment at the end, but I will be sure to get on this tomorrow.

My greatest pleasure of the day: finding some folders in the "grab pile" in which I organized the tons of paper given to us and which we must give to others everyday. Boy they were a sweet find.

Going to bed too late again. Yes, a recurring theme.

No comments: