Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Oops and The Big Fake Out

The day started off a little shaky. Everyday we are given "daily sponge" problems, which are warm up problems for students to do prior to the formal lesson. Today's problem asked about how many square wood pieces a carpenter would have left over after she created a square top with the most pieces possible. I proceeded to outline the problem, as the two students who were in class today were having trouble beginning. Opposite the ideal way I might have started the explanation, I began to find the greatest perfect square factor of 195 - which, unless I have done my calculations incorrectly is, in fact, 1. Not the right way to do the problem. Having realized my error and pointed out to the students that this was not the correct approach, I began the correct method: finding the perfect square factor that is closest to 195, but does not exceeding it - 169, leaving 26 pieces remaining.

After this, I ran into another hurdle as a problem asked about interest rates and making a deposit in a bank. The student understood the problem doing it one way, but I wanted to show her a more efficient way to get the same right answer. This student is very quick to pick things up; therefore, I assumed that this would be no different. To my chagrin, however, the concept did not flow like DMX free-styling. To make matters a little harder by heightening my nerves, an observer of the highest rank entered the room during the explanation. Although I was nervous to receive her feedback, she actually left a very positive message relating that my "explanation led the student to really get it!" This was a welcome reassurance.

At 1:30, signs all over the school read "TFA, Emergency Meeting 1:30, CS Room." Confused and anxious, all corps members reported to the CS room promptly. A Corps Member Advisor addressed the group, "Our school director is upstairs in an important meeting so I will be the one to deliver this bad news. I just heard it myself about 15 minutes ago, so bear with me. Although you guys are doing an awesome job in the classroom, A. Public Schools has made the decision to have your faculty advisors step in and teach the rest of summer school. They do not believe the students are making enough progress. You will still turn in lesson plans, but you will not teach any more during institute; instead you will observe everyday." At this point a murmur in the crowd suggested that this must be a joke. The speaker replied to this with, "I am so far to the opposite of that. This is really hard for me to tell you" with tears emerging in his eyes. At this point, I began to imagine the rest of institute at the back of a classroom - it would be frustrating, but maybe it was best for the students, and I would still learn a little. Other corps members were taking it much harder - bursting into tears all over the room.

To deal with the harsh reality of the moment, the speaker suggested that we discuss what TFA means to us to bring our spirits back. Corps member advisors held up signs with different slogans on them. Finally, the last member raised her sign which read, "Totally Free Afternoon!" Stunned, corps members looked around, searching for answers from each other. "The bus is waiting, we were just kidding!" we were told. Long story short, many were very bitter and hurt that our leaders would play such a cruel joke on us. But, either way, we had the afternoon off! Spectacular. Apparently this is a tradition that they insert when they feel that people are wearing thin - a well-timed choice this time, as just this morning I heard a couple of corps members sharing that they had thought about quitting the program the night before because the work was getting to be too much and sleep too little.

Anyway, speaking of sleep, I am off to dream land.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no offense, but your posts are making me reconsider applying to TFA. Is it really that bad?