Sunday, June 1, 2008

Last Days at Home


In the chaos that was the packing up of my room at the end of school, I made the unfortunate decision to ship home boxes that, unbeknownst to me, contained both my driver's license and passport. Luckily, I was only gently patted down by TSA traveling from Burlington, VT to San Francisco, CA. However, I worry that the Oakland TSA officials will be slightly less pleased that I will not have hard copies of official, government issued forms of identification. I will also need these items for Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District processing in a few days as I perform my first official actions as a Teach for America corps member. Although certainly a nuisance, I am sure that everything will work out just fine.

A little timeline for those to whom I have not updated:

June 3rd: Travel to Charlotte, NC for Teach for America (TFA) Induction Events

June 8th: Carpool from Charlotte to Atlanta, GA for 5 weeks of TFA training, Institute, where I will teach summer school and participate in leadership, diversity, etc. seminars

July 12th: End Institute and hopefully return to Oakland for a little while

July 29th: Charlotte Orientation

August 13th: Teacher Workdays Begin

August 25th: First Day of School
In other news. I went into the doctor hoping simply for a pink eye remedy, and was convinced to get a whooping cough booster and Hep A shot. My right deltoid is now noticeably protruding from my body, not unlike a constant muscle cramp. I am hoping that this unforeseen consequence to fighting rib-breaking coughs will subside. With the wisdom from the father of old friend from preschool, I am confident that it shall.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Oh man, first comment, I rule. Nice call on starting the blog, I'm so glad that I don't have to simply resort to facebook and my good Italian friend "Jimmy" who tails you to find out the details of your life.

Sounds like a very nice father of a preschool friend, although I thought I was the only person you kept in touch with from preschool. These lies keep tearing us apart, dude.

Chrissy said...

Dearest Katie,
You better update me soon on the 40 year man in the parking lot...

I'm so glad that you've started a blog. I get to check in on you when life gets too crazy for a call. That said, I'm sorry for your unfortunate call in sending your ID home. I hope you've recovered them.

My blog as you'll notice is a little more cryptic and more of a place for me to toy with words and the concepts circling around in my brain. Feel free to give it a long when you want to but you are NOT, I repeat NOT obligated to do so.

Gah. I'm going to stop talking now.
Good luck with the upcoming dates.
C