Tuesday, June 3, 2008

First Day of Freshman Year...Take 2


Rising from my bed in Oakland at 4:10am, I traveled through Denver, arriving in Charlotte, NC this afternoon. After some slightly awkward first interactions with fellow corps members, we eventually were all transported to Queens University, pictured at left.
The Charlotte '08 corps consists of approximately 145 members. While I expected a relatively equal sex distribution, there are only about 30 young men, making an extremely female dominated group.
Feeling a little cramped after the 5 hours of flying, I went for a beautiful run through neighborhoods of large brick houses with vast green front lawns. Goodness, the South is warm. I need to refrain from outside activity in the hot afternoon .
After enjoying a light barbecue, each group participated in a team-building exercise including many marsh mellows and a few toothpicks. Without speaking, the goal was to build the highest tower possible. Our team did not comply with the fundamental rule, and ended up whispering quietly; which I unfortunately started because I had failed to hear the no-speaking rule when it was initially announced. Our tower was a sad blob of marsh mellow and toothpick.

So far no "instant connections." But there will be maximum opportunity for them tomorrow, as the day begins before 7am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of Luck tomorrow!!

And if it's any consolation, I'm sure Middlebury misses you too.

Hannah said...

typical, you jock, going for a run.
and you should really listen to the rules katie...