Sunday, June 8, 2008

To Hotlanta!


The 3.5 hr drive from Charlotte to Atlanta was a breeze...in stark contrast to the next 5 weeks here for sure.
In keeping with the friendly attitude, high expectations, and impeccable efficiency that is TFA, registration included smiling faces screaming "welcome to atlanta, charlotte corps!" as we pretended not to be overwhelmed getting our room keys and two gigantic (honestly about 2 inches of paper each) binders of learning materials.
At the key table my name could not be located; so the gentleman gave me a key to a room that had yet to provide residents with shelter. As he handed over the keys, ensuring that I realized that I was about to sign away my life should I lose them, he informed me that I had no roommates as of yet. One girl standing near soon got a key to the same suite; however, I have not seen her for hours...wait, she literally just walked in. So as of right now, we have a 4-person suite to ourselves, which means a bathroom each...pretty sweet!
In other news, a friend from school and I went apartment shopping yesterday afternoon - not necessarily as future roommates, just perusing the scene. We started out at apartments located in uptown Charlotte - absolutely gorgeous. Brand new, granite kitchen counter tops, 10 foot ceilings, hardwood floors. Incredible. My friend and I looked at each other and exchanged the shared opinion that we weren't sure if we are ready for "real people" living. With a 10% teacher discount and the first month of rent free these are very tempting. Honestly, these would go for at least $1200-$1500 a person per month in the Bay Area. I do not know if they will work out, but it would be amazing.
My bus leaves at 6:40am everyday, which means I actually get to sleep in a bit, since some leave at 6:15am. The gym was built for the Olympics so it is beautiful, I can't wait to break in there...gym nerd I am, but I have come to accept it.
Off to bed soon for an early start! Everyone is still in the blissful state of college freshman before they realize they have somehow chosen all upper-level classes with the toughest professors...we have no idea of the challenges ahead, but boy will we learn to teach.
I also beg you to forgive potentially horrific grammatical and spelling errors in future posts due to time restrictions and sleep deprivation.

1 comment:

christy said...

katie, glad to hear that everything is going well so far! it is great for me to get a little preview of what i'll be doing:) i suppose today is your first real day of institute... good luck, dude. i just got to new mexico yesterday, and i start induction today. so excited.

-christy