Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ooo this is fun.

Thursday: Game plan, get 4th block in check. I resolved to make my students come into the room quietly. Standing at the door, I instructed each student who walked in to enter quietly and stand quietly at the back of the room.

After all had filed into the four walls there was much chatter in the atmosphere. I responded, "Ok, that was your first chance. Let's see if you can do it this time, everyone in the hall." Again, they stood in the hall and I asked them to enter quietly and proceed to stand quietly in the back. Once more, there was talking and laughing. "You have failed again, let's see if you can get it right this time."

By now a few students were getting fairly angry. Many were talking loudly and complaining in the hall. This attracted the attention of the assistant principal of instruction of the freshman academy. The stern, African-American gentleman joined me in compelling all students to stand silently in line next to the lockers. They were offered another opportunity to start class by entering quietly, and again they failed. It took 7 times for them to finally get it right.

One girl ended up crying of frustration and stayed in the hallway. Some students said to me, "Tiffany is still in the hallway." I was so desensitized to the drama that students bring everyday that I hardly responded, leaving Tiffany in the hallway. The next day the API (assistant principal) (who is amazingly supportive and wise) came in to chat about the previous day's happenings. At first mention of Tiffany (no names were said; yet it was clear about whom we were talking) I stiffened, worrying that Tiffany's words had turned her parents and the API against me; however, it turned out that rather than a frustration with my tactics, she had been extremely frustrated by her classmates. This brought great relief to me.



A bright glimmer from yesterday! As I went through an example of the distributive property one student, for whom normally the material we are going through is less than challenging, asked a question about the example. For about 30 seconds I explained how I distributed the -4 over the t as well as the 3. The class was silent and everyone was attentive. WOW! This must be what teaching must feel like! If only every moment could be like that one, we could get through a thousand times as much material. I am seriously concerned that we are not going to make it through all of the material this semester considering how disruptive class is.


In order to combat my worries and get students on board with learning, I am going to get a tracking chart to put on the wall. I also plan to get each student his or her personal tracking sheet so that each student can see how he or she is doing. Using these techniques I hope to instill a stronger sense of urgency in my students, so that they will be motivated to journey with me through the material.


O how I love thee, weekend.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

You go girl. Keep on keeping on.

Nice tactic of making the kids all come into the classroom multiple time. I remember how our Bentley teachers would have to resort to crazy stuff to keep us quiet. (Although Bentley kids are probably outrageously tame compared to your group.) Mr. Schug would always say "And now the teacher will begin talking softly about things which will be on the next test to see if anyone is listening."

If he did the finger puppet I would have learned so much more history.

Enjoy the weekend! Peace!

Anonymous said...

I just caught up with reading about your teaching experience and I think I'll go take a nap! While I think it is above and beyond to ask you to teach in the trenches, you may be the only one who could still be standing at the end of your day and come back the next.

Your mother came over Friday night to a fundraiser we had for Obama. She looked great.

Thinking of you...Laura