Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Quotes of the Day

2nd block:

A pen cap falls on the floor and the student asks another to pick it up for him. The second student looks down at the pen cap and back to the individual making the request. No response.

I say, "Terry, Benjamin asked you politely to pick up his pen cap, please do so."

Terry, to Benjamin, "Say please."
Benjamin, "Please."

Terry: "Say your gay."
Benjamin, "I'm gay."

With this renunciation of his manhood, Benjamin finally received his pen cap back. With an "absolutely not in this classroom!" I attempted to respond to the remark.



4th block:
Me after Jasmine repeatedly spoke out of turn, "Jasmine, there is seat at the back waiting for you, move!"

Jasmine, "Man, why you pickin on me, I ain't even talkin'"

"I clearly heard you talking; I asked you to stop; you did not, now you are going to move to the back."

Jasmine as she sits down in the back, "Man, I don't give a f***! Don't be listenin' to me talkin'!"

At this point, I needed to remove this student. "Ok! Good bye! Grab your stuff and head over to Ms. G.'s room."

A new technique I implemented today: if students are really bad send them to the back of a nearby classroom with some work to do. Veteran W.M. teachers have our new teachers' backs and offered their rooms to which we could send students...it got them out of the class, but ohhh 4th block you are wild.

Tomorrow my program director from TFA is coming to observe. Should be interesting.

No comments: