Sunday, September 21, 2008

Quotes from week 4:

Ricky, I have asked you multiple times not to talk when I am talking, I am going to ask you to leave. "Man f*** this class" Excuse me? "Man, whatever ho." I hope I didn't just hear that. "If you heard it, I probably said it." Says Ricky as he exits the classroom.

Next day before class in the hallway, "Ricky, I didn't appreciate some of the things you said yesterday." "I apologize for that, I really do."


Later in the week, me after the class refuses to get on track. Dramatically slamming the board with my palm, "I am sick of this s***! Sit your a** down and shut up!!" Most looked genuinely frightened, finally shut up, and sat down.


On Friday the principal came and spoke with my 2nd and 4th blocks in a harsh way. It was great to get support from the administration even though it meant that my class was not on lock-down.

After a pretty rough week, my Friday ended well as a few kids came by the classroom after school to say hey. Later in the evening I attended our second home football game where I saw a few more students and purchased my first school gear. Another first: a real life high school marching band - the half-time show was greatly impressive, with dancers in glittering, colored costumes and enthusiastic trumpet players swinging their brass from side to side.

We ended up losing 27-0, but still a good time.

Many TFA people are having an incredibly difficult time. Myself included, but some much more so. On Saturday we met as a large group and talked about how things are going in terms of planning and stress levels. The fact that we had to take time to talk about stress, stressed people out. Take a whole bunch of people who are used to succeeding when they work their butt off at something and put them in a situation where they continually fail despite every effort and you get a whole lot of terribly frustrated, high-strung people.

Week 5 here we come.

No comments: